Triple Glazing Or Double Glazing
Although they cost more, triple glazed PVCu windows, residential doors and French doors are not much pricier than double glazed products. PVCu triple glazing may cost more upfront, but over the course of 20 years, it will save you money on your energy bill.
When comparing double and triple glazing windows, doors, and conservatories, there are a few important factors to consider. Triple glazing, like double glazing, has three panes of glass. Triple glazed sealed units are thicker and heavier than double glazed ones, putting additional strain on window hinges over time. Not only that, but the extra glass costs at least 50% more; each window and/or door is thus considerably costlier to transport as a result of being much heavier.
High-performance triple glazing should have a combined U-value of around 1.0 W/m²k, and is generally 40 percent more thermally efficient than standard “A” rated double glazing and 60 percent more thermally efficient than standard “C” rated double glazing. Homeowners could see drastic reductions in their energy costs by making a few simple changes, especially considering that utility prices seem to increase exponentially every year.
In the future, window Building Regulations (which currently require a minimum combined U-Value of 1.6 W/m²k) will likely change to require windows in new build homes and replacement windows have a combined U-value of around 1.4 W/m²k, this is to reduce carbon emissions from the UK housing stock. By investing in high quality, energy efficient PVCu double or triple glazingU”), property owners are ensuring the longevity of their homes.
Mayfair Installations triple glazing is supplied and fitted it. The internal bead, which is visually unimportant or non-existent in our “A Plus” rated double glazing, distinguishes Triple Glazing from Mayfair Installations. The internal bead has been developed to allow for the installation of a wider 36mm unit into a standard 70mm profile. Mayfair Installations windows retain their concave form with a 36mm triple glazed sealed unit, which is much less than the 44mm used by other fabricators. Not to mention, our triple glazing bead also creates a more aesthetically pleasing look that blends in with the overall window. Because our triple and double glazed window frames both measure 70mm front to back, they may be used on the same property, even if a client wants one elevation to be triple glazed and the others double glazed.
Is triple glazing worth the extra money? Here are some benefits of this technology:
1) Not only is triple glazing much more thermally efficient than double glazing- it’s also 40% more effective. This means that you’ll save a lot of money on your energy bills.
2) Triple glazed windows and doors will eliminate undesirable drafts and cold spots in a room that previously had less thermally efficient windows and doors.
3) Installing triple glazed windows and doors can muffle exterior noise.
4) The third pane of glass, by definition, makes a triple glazed sealed unit considerably more difficult to shatter than a double glazed sealed unit – especially because the middle pane is toughened. In addition, all Mayfair Installations “A Plus Plus” rated PVCu triple glazed windows have internal beading, which makes it more difficult for someone to break in as the glass unit can only be removed from the frame by someone who is inside the premises.
Here are some disadvantages of choosing A Plus triple glazing windows over A Plus double glazing windows:
1) Although triple glazing costs more at first,
you’ll save money in the long run.
2) Generally, triple glazed sealed units break more often than double glazed ones.
3) When out of guarantee, triple glazed sealed units cost more to replace than double glazed ones–something to keep in mind.
4) Though triple glazing is only slightly quieter than double glazing, you might not notice a difference if your windows have trickle vents.
5) The increased weight of triple glazing can make it harder to open windows and doors, as well as putting more strain on the frames and hinges.
6) If the central glass pane of a triple-glazed window is float glass, it’s more vulnerable to cracking from temperature changes between the inner and outer panes. So, experienced installers always use toughened safety glass instead to reduce the chances of this happening.
Thank you for reading our article on “Triple Glazing Or Double Glazing” if you would like more information on this, please feel free to contact a member of our team.